Let's All Jump For The Holly Jumpsuit!

Holly Jumpsuit in Tartan



Holly Jumpsuit in Tartan
I am so excited about this pattern I have literally been jumping about it. Well actually more like dorky dancing but still the sentiment is there. Of course it's the Holly jumpsuit form By Hand London. You may have noticed that I am huge fan of these ladies (not quite a stalker but not a million miles off). The patterns come in the most adorable packaging. They're DEFINITELY worth the extra pennies over some pdf patterns out there for this gorgeous design.

I made variation 1, the button up playsuit, and I haven't made a single alteration to the pattern. I patiently waited through their sew along to see if I would need to but decided to just go with a straight size 10/14 in the end. Technically I should have added a half centimetre to both sides of the crotch length, but decided 1/2 a cm wasn't worth the effort. (Gentlemen please avert your gaze while we discuss).

Holly Jumpsuit in Tartan


It fits just right around my bottom. Comfortable but not too baggy. Perfect.

Holly Jumpsuit in Tartan
I was pretty careful about pattern matching because I knew that it would be obvious with this tartan if I didn't. It's not quite perfect but it is close.

The invisible zip is perfect though, it is actually invisible. However the pattern matching along the side seams is pretty much non existent so don't look at this part too long.

Holly Jumpsuit in Tartan
I actually love the pattern. The shaping around the waist in the bodice and trouser is gorgeous. The ladies at By Hand London were claiming it is their most versatile pattern yet and I think they are 100% right. I am really looking forward to a few pattern hacks with it, and I will certainly be making a jumpsuit version (you know with the trouser length legs) at some point. I know the tartan is a more Autumn/Winter style but I thought it would be too much in full length. Ironically I plan to make a floral full length one for Spring/Summer.

Holly Jumpsuit in Tartan

My biggest concern came when I stitched the shorts to the bodice and tried it on. It looked like I had made myself some pyjamas. I decided to take a couple of inches off the short length and then tried it on with tights and it looked much better. At least I don't think it looks like I am about to catch some z's any more. What do you think?

To prove the BHL ladies right I am planning another 'ways to wear it' post about this playsuit to share with you soon. Better stop jumping around now and start some real work. Ciao. Zoe x

8 comments :

  1. Wow. this is super cute! Love the tartan - i personally believe tartan is a wardrobe staple at any time of the year... Also I cant wait to get this pattern - I chipped in on kickstarter and this is one of the patterns I was to get! super excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, I love me some tartan. Would feel strange wearing it on the beach or something though? Although maybe a tartan swimsuit should be a future make? What do you think?

      Delete
    2. Ooh with the right size check it could work...maybe with the percut soma pattern?

      Delete
  2. Ah this looks great Zoe! Such a good fit and colour on you, man I wish I could pull off wearing shorts....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe. (Can't figure out how I do an umlaut sorry). Have you thought about doing a jumpsuit version? But pretty sure any one can wear shorts really. X

      Delete
  3. Wowweeeee this is a beaut!! So happy you like the Holly and thank you thank you for the lovely write up. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte, I meant every word. Keep doing what your are doing!

      Delete
  4. Wow, this is lovely! Love the shape of the neckline in this variation. The tartan is fab.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...