A Flannel Caroline Shirt (from a FREE pattern)


Have you seen this FREE pattern yet? The ladies over at Spit Up and Stilettos decided to make all their ladies patterns free for download and now sell children patterns. This pattern for the caroline shirt is one such item.

I have never made a proper shirt before so I am dead chuffed with this one. I found the instructions pretty easy to follow and there were lots of pictures to guide me through.

Before I tell you my mistakes I wanted to say this, Lauren from Spit up and Stilettos was SO helpful. When I was constructing the sleeves I couldn't find the cuff opening marked on the pattern so I cut it where the pleat was marked, this was the wrong place clearly so my cuffs open the wrong way around. I e-mailed Lauren to let her know it wasn't marked and she updated the pdf document straight away and apologised for the error. I was very impressed. I'll be shopping from them for some kids patterns at some point soon.

The only change I made to the pattern was to not sew all the way down the back pleat, I preferred it to be extra baggy to be extra comfy and casual. I think this shirt would be great in chambray too, you know I love me a chambray shirt!



This shirt definitely ticks the 'casual tops' box that I'm trying to fill. It is probably one of the last few Autumn/Winter makes I'll be making for this season though. Possibly one more dress to come. I know it is still cold outside but I want to get started with some spring sewing so I have some clothes ready in time!

I'll be chatting about spring sewing plans soon. See you then. Zoe x

6 comments :

  1. The shirt is looking good :-) Love me some flannel :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it is so cosy and soft! Been too cold for it this week though, I need to learn to knit so I can make myself some big cosy cardigans. Zoe

      Delete
  2. I love it! Nice pattern matching too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, I was quite careful about that but tried not to stress about it too much so I was pretty pleased with how well it worked out. Zoe

      Delete
  3. This looks great! It really suits you. Thank you for sharing as I had not heard of this free pattern before - now off to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, I was very excited when I found a free shirt pattern as often the free patterns are much more simple. Its a good pattern too so I hope you enjoy it. Zoe

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...