What you need......
For the pastry
- 110g Butter
- 175g Plain Flour
- 3 skinless salmon fillets cut into 2.5cm cubes
- A small head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1 pint milk
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- Make a batch of Delia's quick flaky pastry and pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- While it's chilling preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius, put your broccoli in some boiling water for 4 minutes. The broccoli should be barely cooked otherwise it will be soggy after going in the over. Drain really well.
- You can use the same pan to make the béchamel sauce. Put the milk, butter and flour in the pan over a low heat. Stir with a balloon whisk continuously until the sauce is thickened. Stir through the lemon zest and juice and season well to taste.
- While the sauce is still hot stir the salmon chunks into it. The residual heat in the sauce will begin to cook the salmon meaning you don't have to precook it and leaving the fish lovely and moist.
- Roll out two thirds of the pastry at gently as you can to about the thickness of a pound coin and line a 25cm pie dish. Line with baking paper and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 minutes then remove the beans and paper and return to the oven for a further 3 minutes.
- Stir the broccoli into the sauce with the salmon. Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the pie with it sealing with egg wash. Trim the edges and decorate as desired with the pastry scraps, piercing a hole in the top to let steam out. Paint with the egg wash and pop it back in the oven for 30mins.
- Let the pie rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Cassie xx