Now these aren't crib sized quilts, I think crib size is too big for a baby to actually use, so I made them a bit smaller. To me when you go to the trouble of making something by hand it should be useful rather than just look pretty, so hopefully this will be much more versatile and therefore practical.
The girls quilt was made from a bundle of fat quarters cut into 12cm squares and stitched into a 'checkerboard' style pattern with a plain white in between. The back is also white. If you have never made a quilt before this is a perfect one to start with.
The boys quilt also has 12cm squares but these are randomly spread across the quilt. This one is backed with the stripy fabric used in some of the patches.
The binding is made from leftover fabric from the front patches. This is the first time I have successfully managed to 'free motion quilt' a quilt and I am really pleased with how it came out. I had to try this a few times over to make it work but I think I have finally got the hang of it and it does give a really lovely effect.