Celebrating 100 Posts With Very Lemonny Lemon Cake!
What you need:
For the Cake:
225g Golden Caster Sugar
225g Self Raising Flour
4 large eggs
Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
For the icing:
450g Icing sugar
Zest and Juice of 2 lemons (about 90ml of juice)
Two 18-20cm round cake tins
What you do:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and line and grease your cake tins.
2. Beat together the caster sugar and the icing until pale and fluffy. (I do this in my free standing mixer).
3. Add the eggs and the flour and beat to combine. Followed by the lemon juice and zest beating again.
4. Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for around 20 minutes or until the cake is beginning to come away from the sides of the pan. Turn out onto a rack and leave to cool completely.
5. When the cake is cool beat together the butter and the icing sugar until you have what resembles fine breadcrumbs. (Again I use my mixer for this but you can do it all by hand).
6. Add the zest and then the juice and beat vigorously until you have a smooth and light icing.
7. Put a small blob of icing on your serving plate and place one cake on top of it. Use a third of the remaining icing to sandwich the cakes together and the other two thirds to cover the top and the sides of the cake. It's unlikely that you'll manage to get a smooth finish to the icing so embrace the texture use a fork or a knife to get a homemade but delicious looking finish.
A great way to celebrate anything.